FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Charley Burch Launches Campaign For
Memphis City Council Seat Super District 9 Position 1
Harold E. Blockman, Treasurer
Charley Burch, a lifelong Memphian, has been involved in politics from an early age and has served as an appointed city government official in Memphis for 12 years. Charley served four and a half years as Secretary on the Memphis Alcohol Commission, and has served the past seven and a half years to-date as Vice Chairman and Treasurer of the Memphis Music Commission.
Charley is a Federal Transportation Security Officer for The Department of Homeland Security and The Transportation Security Administration stationed at Memphis International Airport, and has been elected Vice Chairman of the DHS/TSA Employees Advisory Council. Charley is also a licensed Realtor with Keller Williams Realty. Charley is a member of Anshei Sphard Beth El Emeth Synagogue, and a Master Mason with Unity Lodge #95 (York Rite, Scottish Rite and Shriner’s). Charley has a B.A. in History from Memphis State University.
The Burch family has a 150-year history of government involvement and defending our Citizen’s rights. The Burch family worked on behalf of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and the Memphis Sanitation Workers. Burch family members also served in the Tennessee House of Representatives, as Governor of Tennessee and in The United States Senate.
Charley Burch is running for office because he is troubled that our city is becoming increasingly divided, both socially and politically. City Council Super District 9 Position 1 is a nonpartisan seat and it should be just that—nonpartisan. As a friend of unions and labor, when elected, Charley Burch will defend the rights and benefits of our Police, Firefighters and all Memphis City Employees. When elected, he will also focus on repairing our city’s infrastructure, including public roads and services. Furthermore, if one of his constituents brings an issue to his awareness that he hypothetically disagrees with, he will still present it to committee for consideration because he believes that his opinion is not as important as the voice of our Citizens and my Constituents.
Vote for Charley Burch on October 8th, 2015, and he will represent The Voice of The People and not private interest agendas! It’s time to start Rebuilding Memphis for Memphians!
- Attract and keep residents in Memphis
- Sustain Firefighters, Police, and City Worker health care plans and pensions
- Develop and maintain a sensible and balanced city budget
- Repair and improve public roads and services
- Improve access to affordable public transportation
- Develop and promote Memphis music, arts, tourism, and attractions
- Restore traffic to/from the Memphis Airport to previous levels
- Preserve and improve our library, landmarks, and park services
- Improve access to education programs focused on vocational and skilled trade development
- Improve access to Public Health Services
- Identify and obtain State and Federal grants for Memphis programs
- Voice the needs of my constituents
The day Charley was born he was made an honorary page for the Tennessee House of Representatives.
Charley Burch was appointed by The Honorable Mayor Willie Herenton to and voluntarily served as Board Member of The Memphis Alcohol Commission for a period of 4 ½ years and was elected Secretary of that Body.
Charley Burch was appointed by The Honorable Mayor Willie Herenton to and voluntarily serve as Board Member of The Memphis Music Commission for the past 7 years and was elected Treasurer of that Body. Then, Mayor AC Wharton reappointed him to this Board and was elected Vice Chairman which he remains to this day.
- Federal Officer, Memphis Airport DHS/TSA and elected Vice Chariman of DHS/TSA Employees Advisory Council
- Affiliate Broker, Keller Williams Realty
- Writer and Publisher, ASCAP
- Producer of Music Events and Recordings for the past 27 years.
- B.A. History, Memphis State University
- Bar-Ilan University, Israel
- Atlantic Theatre Company
- Germantown High School
- Yeshiva of The South
- Memphis Hebrew Academy
- St Dominic School for Boys
- Threshold Montesori
- Member, Anshei Sphard Beth El Emeth Synagogue and 2nd Tenor in it’s choir.
- Member, Unity Lodge #95 – York Rite Mason, Scottish Rite Mason, and Shriner
- Voting Member and former Board of Governors, NARAS “The Grammy Awards”
- Showcase Director, Crossroads Music Exposition
- Member, Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity
- Member, International Thespian Society
- Charley has lived in Memphis for 47 years.
- He has volunteered for, organized and produced numerous events for local charities that have raised millions of dollars.
- His Mother is Dr. Wanda Burch and he has one son, Zachary Burch.
The result of his experience and knowledge, Charley:
- Knows how to communicate and compromise with City Officials.
- Will be a voice of sensibility and reason on The City Council.
- Is not financially or ideologically influenced be a specific group or agenda.
- Has an interest is growing Memphis’ Business; not his own.
- Is Fiscally Responsible and Socially Conscious.
- Will bring The Music Business Back To Memphis.
- Is trustworthy and a Man with a good reputation.
- Will direct our tax dollars to the interests of all Memphians not just private interests.
- Will answer the requests of his constituents and be their voice on The City Council.
Campaign Slogans and Beliefs
- It’s not about Black or White, Left or Right–it is about Rebuilding Memphis for Memphians.
- The first duty of any elected official is the safety of their Citizens. This is guaranteed in the Constitution.
- Pledges to be ever sensitive to the problems of the people he represents and ever seeking of ways and means of resolving these problems.
- We need to keep our City safe and we will best accomplish that primary goal by standing behind our Firefighters, Law Enforcement and City Employees that keep Memphis functioning on a daily basis.